Monday, December 15, 2008

Things to Remember for Motor Insurance

  • you must give your insurer or the person who sells you the insurance as much information as you can about yourself and your vehicle. You must, for example, tell your insurer or the person who sells you the insurance about any driving convictions, any medical condition which could affect your driving ability, or any motoring accidents, even if you have not claimed on your insurance as a result. The information you give will affect the level of your premium, and whether your insurer will pay out on any claim
  • if you want to include anyone else on your insurance, you must give details about them to your insurer, or the person who sells you the insurance
  • you must tell your insurer, in writing, about any change in your circumstances, for example a change of occupation. You should tell them as soon as the change occurs, and not wait until it's time to renew your policy
  • if you take out an insurance policy in your name, you should be the person who drives the vehicle most. If you take out motor insurance in someone else's name because it's cheaper, and they are not the main driver, the insurer can refuse to pay out on a claim
  • if the vehicle has been bought on credit, the finance company will usually insist that it is insured in the name of the person who has taken out the credit agreement.
  • Motor insurance policies normally run for a year. Your insurer does not have to send you a notice reminding you to renew, but most insurers do send out reminders
  • When you take out or renew motor insurance, you will get a cover note at first. This will be valid for 30 days or until you get a copy of the full insurance certificate. It is a criminal offence to drive without a cover note or full insurance certificate, so do not rely only on a telephone conversation where someone has told you that you are covered
  • The police can ask you to show them your insurance certificate or cover note. If you can't produce the right document, they will give you seven days to do so at a police station of your choice. If you are stopped under the 'fixed penalty system', they can specify the station. If you can't produce a document within seven days, the police can seize your vehicle and sell it (although you can claim back the proceeds of the sale)
  • You can cancel an insurance policy if you sell your vehicle, if it is stolen, or if it is written off. You should check your policy to see if you have a right to a refund of your premium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog